Wednesday 30 January 2008

Volvo XC70 Sport - Steering Force Adjustment

One of the features of the Volvo XC70 Sport, is the steering force needed to turn the steering wheel can be adjusted by the driver.

The force has 3 levels. This is selected from the master menu on the dashboard.

I found out a strange thing the other day. The manual says that the steering force level can only be changed when the car is stationary. What happens is that as soon as you are moving, you can't select steering force in the menu - it sort of blanks it out.

I don't know why, but I just decided to play with this feature and found out something different to what the manual says.

If you select steering force in the menu when the car is stationary, but then leave that part of the menu open as you drive, you can actually change the steering force level as you drive. So I don't understand this, if you can do this - why blank the menu at a higher level to prevent you changing the force level? The software obviously has a bug or they can't write it in a way to prevent you doing this?

Anyway, my observation of steering force, is that the lowest setting is just too low, the highest setting reminds me of a BMW level of force.. the middle level closer to an Audi. I tend to leave it on the middle setting for now.

No comments: