Tuesday 12 February 2008

VOLVO XC70 Cold Weather

Recently had a lot of heavy frost and since the car is parked outside without any protection from buildings or walls - it was always frosted up on the front screen. With diesel engines taking time to warm up - the screen takes a while to defrost. It's not clear to me if this engine is equipped with an electric pre-heater for these conditions. Anybody know?

The rear window doesn't seem to pick up a frost - I wonder if it is because it is such a vertical angle and with the spoiler overhanging it it is somehow shielded from frost ?

Tried to use a product which apparently reduces the frost on the screen.. the idea being you pretreat the screen and then in the morning, it simply wipes off with the wiper blades.

However.. come the morning and -3 Deg C.. all I have is a windscreen which seems even more frozen than normal. All I have is the additional nice ice patterns!

The product recommended that I should use the wash wipe function.. to just wipe away the ice!!

My recommendation.. don't buy it.

Some chance because the wash wipe was frozen.. at -3Deg C.... I thought these would be heated and I had put screen wash deicer into the tank. However because the wash wipe is also linked to the headlamp cleaning - these actually came on also. When I got out of the car, I had managed to cover my headlamps in a set of ice !

So back into the garage to find some real deicer..

Luckily by this time, the heated seats had kicked in.

I like to keep the cabin at 22C and never play with the dials even in cold weather, and then adjust using the seat thermostat.. 3 to start with..then knocking it down to the 1 setting.

No comments: